Search for recipes throughout
the entire site or select one of the recipe collections from
the drop-down menu on the search tool below:
Pepperoncinis are stuffed with three cheeses
and chicken, wrapped in phyllo dough, baked to a golden perfection
and served with a refreshing pear salsa. Recipe by Chef Sylvia
- Pear Salsa:
1 cup (2) firm pears, peeled, cored, finely chopped
1 tablespoon red onion, chopped
2 tablespoons each red, yellow and green bell peppers, chopped
2 teaspoons Anaheim chiles, roasted, peeled, chopped
1 1/2 teaspoons fresh cilantro, chopped:
1 1/2 teaspoons scallion tops, chopped
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 1/2 teaspoons Balsamic vinegar
1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
1/2 cup (2 ounces) Wisconsin Hot Pepper Jack cheese, shredded
1/2 cup (2 ounces) Wisconsin Monterey Jack cheese, shredded
1/4 cup (1 ounce) Wisconsin Asiago cheese, shredded
4 ounces boneless chicken breast, skinned and halved
1/2 teaspoon seasoned salt
1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted
1 pound (18 sheets, 17 x 12 inches each) phyllo dough
36 fresh chives, blanched*
- For Pear Salsa: Combine all ingredients
in small bowl. Stir until well-mixed; set aside.
- For Firecrackers: Combine Hot Pepper Jack,
Monterey Jack and Asiago cheeses in small bowl.
- Cut chicken into 18 (1/4 ounce) pieces.
Sprinkle chicken with seasoned salt.
- Cut tops off pepperoncinis and remove
- Put 1/4 ounce cheese mixture and one piece
chicken into each pepperoncini. Set aside.
- Brush 6 sheets phyllo with melted butter;
stacking sheets on top of each other. Cut phyllo into thirds
in width and in half lengthwise to form 6 portions.
- Place one pepperoni one inch from narrow
edge of piece of phyllo. Roll phyllo around pepperoni. Twist
ends to seal. Repeat with remaining phyllo and pepperoncinis.
- Place firecrackers on greased jelly roll
- Bake at 350°F (175°C) for 20 to
25 minutes or until phyllo is golden brown.
- To blanch chives, place in boiling water
for 15 seconds; remove and drain.
- Tie twisted ends of firecrackers with
- Serve Firecrackers with Pear Salsa.
Makes 18 servings.
Recipe provided courtesy of Wisconsin Milk
Marketing Board, Inc.
Rate and submit your comments
about this recipe below.