Molten Lava Cookies
Served warm, these cake-like cookies have a yummy, melty chocolate center.
1 cup (2 sticks) butter, softened
2 cups granulated sugar
3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/3 cup dark or semisweet chocolate (at least 60% cocoa), roughly chopped
Powdered sugar for garnish (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C). Cream together butter and sugar with an electric mixer. Add cocoa powder, eggs and vanilla; mix until combined.
- Combine flour and baking powder in a separate bowl. Gradually add to butter mixture.
- Shape dough into 1-inch balls. Using your thumb, press a thumbprint into the center; fill with a piece of chocolate and fold dough over to cover chocolate.
- Place balls 2 inches apart on baking sheets lined with parchment paper.
- Bake 9 to 11 minutes or until edges are firm and tops are soft. Remove cookies to a cooling rack; dust with powdered sugar, if desired.
- Serve warm, if possible. Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 1 week.
- To reheat cookies, place cookie on microwave-safe plate and microwave on high for 5 seconds, or until cookie is slightly warm.
Makes 2 1/2 to 3 dozen cookies.
Recipe and photograph provided courtesy of Wisconsin Milk Marketing Board, Inc.