Search for recipes throughout
the entire site or select one of the recipe collections from
the drop-down menu on the search tool below:
Traditional shepherd's pie gets a pumpkin
make-over! This beloved recipe has added the delicious taste
and nutritional value of pumpkin, making it a hearty and nourishing
dinner that's perfect for weeknights in.
Beef & Pumpkin
- 1 large russet potato (about 3/4 pound),
peeled and cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1 (15-ounce) can LIBBY'S® 100% Pure
Pumpkin - divided use
- 1/2 cup freshly grated or shredded Parmesan
cheese - divided use
- 1/2 teaspoon salt - divided use
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper - divided
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 large carrots, peeled and chopped
- 3/4 pound extra-lean ground beef or ground
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 cup reduced-sodium fat-free beef broth
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce (optional)
- Place potato chunks in medium saucepan.
Cover with water; bring to a boil. Cook over medium-high heat
for 10 to 15 minutes or until tender; drain. Return potatoes
to saucepan; add 1 cup pumpkin, 1/4 cup cheese, 1/4 teaspoon
salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Beat with hand-held mixer until
- Meanwhile, heat oil in large skillet over
medium-high heat. Add onion and carrots; cook, stirring occasionally,
for 5 minutes or until carrots begin to soften. Stir in beef,
flour, garlic powder and remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt and remaining
1/4 teaspoon pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 3 to 4
minutes or until beef is no longer pink. Stir in broth, remaining
pumpkin and Worcestershire sauce; bring to a boil. Cook, stirring
occasionally, for 2 to 3 minutes or until mixture has thickened
- Preheat broiler.
- Spoon beef mixture into ungreased 9-inch
deep-dish pie dish or other broiler-proof casserole dish (1 1/2
to 2-quart). Spoon pumpkin-potato mixture evenly over beef filling,
spreading gently. Sprinkle with remaining 1/4 cup cheese.
- Broil for 5 minutes or until cheese is
Makes 8 servings.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/8
of recipe): Calories: 170 Calories from Fat: 45 Total Fat: 5
g Saturated Fat: 1.5 g Cholesterol: 25 mg Sodium: 320 mg Carbohydrates:
19 g Dietary Fiber: 4 g Sugars: 5 g Protein: 13 g
Recipe and photograph are the property
of Nestlé® and Meals.com, used with permission.
Rate and submit your comments
about this recipe below.