Cocoa Chiffon Cake
Light-as-a-feather, cocoa chiffon cake topped with a creamy vanilla glaze.
2 cups granulated sugar - divided use
1 1/2 cups cake flour
2/3 cup HERSHEY'S Cocoa
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 cup vegetable oil
7 large eggs, separated and at room temperature
3/4 cup cold water
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
1/3 cup butter or margarine
2 cups powdered sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 to 4 tablespoons hot water
- For Cake: Preheat oven to 325°F (160°C).
- Combine 1 3/4 cups sugar, flour, cocoa, baking powder, salt and baking soda in large bowl. Add oil, egg yolks, water and vanilla; beat until smooth.
- Beat egg whites and cream of tartar in extra-large bowl until soft peaks form.
- Gradually add remaining 1/4 cup sugar, beating until stiff peaks form.
- Gradually pour chocolate batter over beaten egg whites, folding with rubber spatula just until blended.
- Pour into ungreased 10-inch tube pan.
- Bake 1 hour and 20 minutes or until top springs back when touched lightly. Invert pan on heat-proof funnel until completely cool. Remove cake from pan; invert onto serving plate.
- Spread top of cake with Vanilla Glaze, allowing some to drizzle down sides.
- For Vanilla Glaze: Melt butter in medium saucepan over low heat. Remove from heat. Stir in powdered sugar and vanilla. Stir in hot water, 1 tablespoon at a time, until smooth and of desired consistency. Makes about 1 1/4 cups glaze.
Makes 12 to 16 servings.
Variation: Cocoa Peppermint Chiffon Cake: Omit vanilla extract; add 1 to 1 1/2 teaspoons peppermint extract. Add red food color to Vanilla Glaze for pink colored glaze. Garnish with crushed hard peppermint candy.
Recipe courtesy of the Hershey Kitchens, and reprinted with permission of The Hershey Company. © The Hershey Company.