Search for recipes throughout
the entire site or select one of the recipe collections from
the drop-down menu on the search tool below:
Rather than a typical torte that is 'layered',
this recipe is more an Italian-style double-crusted pie with
a robust filling made with spinach, sun-dried tomato, egg, bread
crumbs, ricotta and Parmesan cheese.
- 2 unbaked refrigerated pie crusts
1 large egg, lightly beaten
2 cups (16 ounces) ricotta cheese
1 cup (4 ounces) shredded pepato cheese, (or 1 cup shredded Asiago
cheese and 1 teaspoon coarsely ground black peppercorns)
1/2 cup (2 ounces) grated Parmesan cheese
3 large eggs
1 teaspoon dried basil
1 (10-ounce) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed, and squeezed
1/4 cup seasoned bread crumbs
1/4 cup sun-dried tomatoes, drained
- Preheat the oven to 425°F (220°C).
- Place 1 pie crust in a 9-inch pie pan.
Brush 1/2 of the beaten egg over the crust; set aside. Reserve
the other crust for the top of the torta.
- In a large bowl, combine the cheeses,
eggs, and basil until well-blended.
- Stir in the spinach, bread crumbs, and
tomatoes until thoroughly combined.
- Scrape the mixture into the prepared pie
crust; smooth the top to make the filling even.
- Place the reserved pie crust over the
top; brush with the remaining beaten egg.
- Bake for 15 minutes. Reduce the heat to
375°F (190°C) and bake for 20 minutes or until golden
- Cool on a wire rack for 30 minutes before
slicing. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Makes 6 servings.
Recipe provided courtesy of Wisconsin Milk
Marketing Board, Inc.
Rate and submit your comments
about this recipe below.