Poached Tuna Salad on Ciabatta with Havarti
A extraordinary recipe for tuna salad for those who are serious about their tuna salad sandwiches. Recipe by Chef Mindy Segal.
3 cups extra-virgin olive oil
7 cloves garlic - divided use
4 sprigs thyme
2 pounds tuna loin trimmings, cubed (room temperature)
Salt and ground black pepper, to taste
1 cup mayonnaise
4 ounces capers with brine 1 cup reserved poaching oil
4 large ciabatta rolls, split
1/2 cup (2 ounces) shredded Havarti cheese
- In a large saucepan, combine the oil, 3 cloves of garlic, and the thyme. Heat to a soft boil. Remove from the heat and add the cubed tuna. Poach the tuna for 20 minutes or until no longer pink, stirring occasionally. Remove the tuna from the oil to a medium bowl; reserve 1 cup of the oil.
- Season the tuna with salt and pepper, and let it cool completely. When cooled, mix with the mayonnaise and capers.
- Preheat the oven to broil.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, bring the reserved oil and 4 cloves of garlic to a soft boil. Brush the cut sides of the rolls with the garlic oil. Place the rolls on a baking sheet, cut sides up, and broil until toasted, about 2 minutes. Remove from the oven, and reduce the oven temperature to 350°F (175°C).
- Spoon a rounded cup of the tuna mixture on the bottom halves of the toasted rolls. Top with 2 tablespoons of grated Havarti.
- Place the baking sheet back in the oven and heat for 7 to 10 minutes or until the cheese is melted.
- Place the roll tops on the tuna; cut in half to serve.
Makes 4 servings.
Recipe and photograph provided courtesy of Wisconsin Milk Marketing Board, Inc.