This moist chocolate sheet cake, with a peanut butter chip-flavored frosting, is the perfect to take along cake for traveling to picnics and other casual dining get-togethers.
1 cup water
1 cup butter or margarine
1/2 cup HERSHEY'S Cocoa
2 cups granulated sugar
1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 large eggs
3/4 cup dairy sour cream
Peanut Butter Chip Frosting:
1/3 cup butter or margarine
1/3 cup milk
1 2/3 cups (10-ounce package) REESE'S Peanut Butter Chips
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup powdered sugar
For Chocolate Garnish:
1/2 cup HERSHEY'S Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips
1 teaspoon vegetable shortening (not butter, margarine, spread or oil)
- Cake: Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C). Grease and flour 15 1/2 x 10 1/2 x 1-inch jelly roll pan.
- Combine water, butter and cocoa in medium saucepan. Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until mixture boils. Boil 1 minute. Remove from heat; set aside.
- Stir together sugar, flour, baking soda and salt in large bowl. Add eggs and sour cream; beat until blended. Add cocoa mixture; beat just until blended (batter will be thin). Pour into prepared pan.
- Bake 25 to 30 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool cake in pan on wire rack.
- While cake is cooling, prepare Peanut Butter Chip Frosting; spread over top of cake.
- For Peanut Butter Chip Frosting: Combine butter, milk and peanut butter chips in medium saucepan. Cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until chips are melted and mixture is smooth. Remove from heat; stir in vanilla. Place powdered sugar in medium bowl. Gradually add chip mixture, beating until well blended. Cool, stirring occasionally, until of spreading consistency (about 1 hour). Makes about 2 cups frosting.
- Drizzle Chocolate Garnish over top, if desired.
- For Chocolate Garnish: Place chocolate chips and vegetable shortening in small microwave-safe bowl. Microwave at HIGH (100%) 1 minute; stir until chips are melted and mixture is smooth.
Makes 20 to 24 servings.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of the Hershey Kitchens, and reprinted with permission of The Hershey Company. © The Hershey Company.