Baked Empanadas with Beef Filling
Try baked empanadas for a healthy alternative to the traditional deep-fried version. Recipe by Maria Alamo.
4 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt (optional)*
1 cup canola oil
1 cup warm water or milk
3 tablepoons canola oil
1 onion, chopped
2 clove garlic, minced
1 pound lean ground beef
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon oregano
2 tablepoons tomato paste
1/4 cup currants or raisins
1/4 cup chopped black olives
1 cup beef broth
2 hard-boiled eggs, chopped
2 small cooked potatoes, diced into 1-inch cubes
- For Empanada Dough: Place flour, baking powder and salt in food processor; process for 5 seconds. With machine running, add canola oil and then warm water through feed tube; process until dough almost gathers into ball. (Add additional water if necessary). Transfer to floured surface; knead for few seconds. Cover with plastic wrap; let stand for 30 minutes.
- Form dough into 9 inch log; cut into 12 portions about 3/4-inch each. On lightly floured surface, roll portion with rolling pin to 1/4 inch thick. Cut dough into 4-inch dough circles using wide mouth glass, jar or can. (You may get 4 extra circles by rolling out leftover dough).
- Unbaked empanada circles may be frozen. Stack circles between wax paper and place in resealable, freezer plastic bag. Thaw to use.
- In saucepan over medium-high heat, add canola oil. Saute onions and garlic until softened. Add ground beef and brown until completely cooked through. Combine pepper, salt, cumin, oregano, tomato paste, currants and black olives with beef mixture.
- Add beef broth. Simmer mixture, uncovered, on medium heat for 20 to 25 minutes until liquid is almost evaporated.
- Add potatoes and fold in eggs. Adjust seasonings.
- To fill empanadas, lightly brush edge of half circle with egg white mixture of 1 egg white and 1 Tbsp (15 mL) water. Place about 1 heaping Tbsp of beef filling in center. Fold half of circle over to form half-moon and press edges together firmly. Gently press fork into dough to form ridges if desired. Place on lightly greased baking sheet. Brush tops with egg white mixture. Pierce tops once with fork.
- Bake at 350°F (175°C) for about 20 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove from oven; let cool for 5 minute before serving.
Makes 32 empanadas..
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/32 of recipe): Calories 170; Total Fat 10g; Saturated Fat 1.5g; Cholesterol 20mg; Sodium 190mg; Carbohydrates 15g; Fiber <1g; Protein 5g.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of CanolaInfo.org.