Search for recipes throughout
the entire site or select one of the recipe collections from
the drop-down menu on the search tool below:
Recipe submitted by Jim McElhone.
- 3/4 cup sifted all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup yellow cornmeal
- Pinch of salt
- 1/8 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room
- 1 cup granulated sugar - divided use
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 tablespoon nonfat yogurt
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 1 large egg white
- 1/2 cup strained fresh lemon juice
- Grated zest of 1 large lemon
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- Powdered sugar for dusting
- Position rack in lower third of oven and
preheat oven to 350°F (175°C).
Spray a 13 x 9 x 2-inch pan lightly
with vegetable oil spray.
- Make the crust: Stir the 3/4 cup of flour,
the cornmeal, salt and baking soda
together with a whisk to combine. Set
- In a medium mixing bowl, beat the butter
until creamy. Add 1/3 cup of the sugar
and beat at high speed for about
one minute or until mixture loses its crumbly texture
and begins to form a mass. Beat in the egg yolk, yogurt, and vanilla. Add the dry
ingredients and beat on low speed just
until combined. Scrape the bowl and beater. Knead
the mixture briefly with your hands to mix thoroughly.
- Press the dough evenly into the pan and
prick all over with a skewer or fork.
If pan is light weight, place on baking sheet. Bake
until brown on top, about 20 to 25 minutes.
- Make the topping: Whisk eggs and the egg
white with the remaining sugar until
combined. Whisk in the lemon juice and
zest. Whisk in the 1/4 cup of flour.
- When crust is brown, turn oven temperature
down to 300°F (150°C). Pour
topping over hot crust and bake 15 to 20 minutes, or until topping barely jiggles in the center when
you shake the pan gently back and forth.
Cool on a rack. Chill before cutting
- Serve cold or at room temperature (I like
them cold) dusted with powdered sugar.
They last a couple of days but are most delicious
on the day they are baked. Do not freeze.
Makes 24 bars.
Rate and submit your comments
about this recipe below.