Moo Shu Beef
1 pound beef flank steak or boneless top sirloin or top round steak, cut 3/4-inch thick
1/2 ounce dried shiitake mushrooms (optional)
3 cups packaged coleslaw mix
2/3 cup sliced green onions
1 tablespoon cornstarch dissolved in 1/4 cup water
Moo shu wrappers, warmed
2 tablespoons each reduced-sodium soy sauce and water
1 tablespoon dark sesame oil
2 teaspoons granulated sugar
2 cloves garlic, minced
- Soak mushrooms in 1 cup hot water 20 minutes or until softened. Drain well; remove and discard stems. Cut caps into thin strips.
- Cut beef steak lengthwise in half, then crosswise into thin strips. Stack 3 or 4 strips at a time; cut lengthwise in half.
- Combine marinade ingredients in large bowl. Add beef; toss. Refrigerate 20 minutes.
- Drain beef, discarding marinade.
- Heat large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat until hot. Add 1/2 of beef; stir-fry 1 to 2 minutes or until outside surface of beef is no longer pink. (Do not overcook.) Remove. Repeat with remaining beef.
- Combine cooked beef, mushrooms, coleslaw mix, green onions and cornstarch mixture in skillet. Cook and stir until sauce is thickened and bubbly.
- Spread hoisin sauce on moo shu wrappers; spoon beef mixture down center. Fold bottom edge over filling; fold right and left sides to center, overlapping.
Makes 4 servings.
*If moo shu wrappers are not available in your area, use flour tortillas.
Recipe and photograph provided courtesy of the Beef Industry Council.