Search for recipes throughout
the entire site or select one of the recipe collections from
the drop-down menu on the search tool below:
This western-style roast and red beans
dish was a favorite of the chuckwagon cook and as well as the
Ranch Roast and Red
- Red Beans:
- 1 pound pinto beans
1 pound ham hocks
2 1/2 tablespoons chili powder
1/3 cup granulated sugar
Salt, to taste
1 small onion, chopped
- Barbecue Sauce:
- 1 cup catsup
1/2 teaspoon Tabasco sauce
1/2 teaspoon coarse black pepper
4 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
1 teaspoon dry mustard
2 small cloves garlic, chopped
1/2 cup lemon juice
1 cup margarine or butter
- Ranch Roast:
- 1 (3 pound) beef arm or chuck roast
1 1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
2 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 pound carrots
3 pounds potatoes
4 medium onions, quartered
- For Red Beans: Soak beans in water overnight;
- Put fresh water to cover beans. Place
over medium heat. When water is hot, add ham hock; simmer 2 hours.
- Add sugar, chili powder and onion; continue
to simmer 2 additional hours. Add salt 15 minutes before removing
- For Barbecue Sauce: Combine all ingredients
in saucepan and simmer 15 minutes.
- For Ranch Roast: Rub roast with salt and
flour. Heat oil in Dutch oven and brown roast on all sides. Drain
- Pour Barbecue Sauce over roast and cook,
covered, 2 hours.
- Add vegetables and cook additional 1 hour,
or until beef and vegetables are tender.
- Serve with Red Beans.
Makes 6 to 8 servings.
Recipe provided courtesy of Texas Beef Council and Beef It's Whats
Rate and submit your comments
about this recipe below.