Search for recipes throughout
the entire site or select one of the recipe collections from
the drop-down menu on the search tool below:
Mashed potato added to the dough makes
this bread moist and flavorful.
Braided Potato Bread
- 1 cup cooked mashed potato
- 2/3 cup milk
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine
- 3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour - divided
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 (.25-ounce) package active dry yeast
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1 egg white, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon water
- 2 teaspoons poppy seeds
- Combine potato, milk and butter in a saucepan;
heat until butter melts, stirring occasionally. Cool to 120°F
to 130°F (50°C to 55°C).
- Combine 1 1/2 cups flour, sugar, yeast
and salt in a large mixing bowl; stir well. Gradually add milk
mixture and 2 eggs, beating at medium speed of an electric mixer
2 minutes. Stir in enough remaining flour to make a soft dough.
- Turn dough out onto a lightly floured
surface, and knead until smooth and elastic, about 10 minutes.
- Place dough in a well-greased bowl, turning
to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place (85°F /
30°C), free from drafts, 1 1/2 hours or until dough is doubled
- Punch dough down; divide into 3 equal
portions. Shape each portion of dough into a 14-inch rope. Place
ropes on a greased baking sheet (do not stretch); pinch ends
together at one end to seal. Braid ropes; pinch loose ends together
to seal. Cover and let rise in a warm place, free from drafts,
1 hour or until dough is doubled in bulk.
- Combine egg white and water; stir well.
Brush egg white mixture over top and sides of loaf. Sprinkle
with poppy seeds.
- Bake at 350°F (175°C) for 30 to
35 minutes or until loaf sounds hollow when tapped. Remove bread
from baking sheet immediately; let cool on a wire rack
Makes 1 loaf.
Rate and submit your comments
about this recipe below.