Search for recipes throughout
the entire site or select one of the recipe collections from
the drop-down menu on the search tool below:
These jolly candy cane shaped loaves make
wonderful Christmas gifts!
Candy Cane Coffee
- 1 (1/4-ounce) package active dry yeast
- 3/4 cup water (110° to 115°F /
- 1/2 cup warm milk (110° to 115°F
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 7 to 7 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup chopped hazelnuts
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 cup raisins
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 3 to 4 tablespoons warm milk
- 1 tablespoon butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon extract
- 1/4 cup chopped hazelnuts
- In a mixing bowl, dissolve yeast in water
and milk. Add eggs, sugar, butter, salt and 3 cups flour; beat
until smooth. Add enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic,
6 to 8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl; turn once to grease
top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about
1 to 1 1/2 hours.
- For filling, combine nuts, brown sugar,
raisins and cinnamon; set aside.
- Punch dough down and divide into fourths.
Roll one portion into a 12 x 7-inch rectangle. brush with some
butter; sprinkle with 2/3 cup filling. Roll up, jelly roll-style,
starting with a long side; pinch to seal. Place on a greased
baking sheet; shape top to form a cane. Repeat with remaining
dough, filling and butter. Cover and let rise until doubled,
about 35 minutes.
- Bake at 350°F (175°C) for 25 minutes
or until golden brown. Cool on wire racks.
- Combine the first five glaze ingredients;
drizzle stripes over loaves. Sprinkle with nuts.
Makes 4 loaves.
Rate and submit your comments
about this recipe below.