Cherry & Oat Scones
Tender, cinnamon and sugar topped oat and dried cherry scones.
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup quick or old fashioned oats
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 cup butter
1/2 cup dried cherries
1/3 cup milk
1/4 cup plain yogurt
1 large egg, lightly beaten
1 tablespoon granulated sugar
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- For Scones: Preheat oven to 400°F (205°C). Lightly grease cookie sheet.
- In large bowl, combine flour, oats, 1/4 cup sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon; mix well. Cut in butter with pastry blender until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in dried cherries.
- Add combined milk, yogurt and egg to flour mixture; mix with fork just until dry ingredients are moistened.
- Turn dough out onto lightly floured surface; knead gently 8 to 10 times. Roll or pat dough into 8-inch circle about 3/4-inch thick.
- For Topping: Combine the sugar and cinnamon and sprinkle over the dough. Cut into 8 to 10 wedges with sharp knife. Place about 2-inches apart on cookie sheet.
- Bake 10 to 14 minutes or until light golden brown. Serve warm.
Makes 8 to 10 scones.