Chewy Philadelphia-Style Soft Pretzels
Big soft pretzels, crispy and salty on the outside, tender and chewy on the inside. Eat 'em as is or dip 'em in yellow mustard, nacho-cheese dip or whatever you like.
1 1/2 cups warm water
1 tablespoon granulated sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
1 (0.25-ounce) packet active dry yeast, or 2 1/4 teaspoons active dry yeast
4 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 cup butter, melted
10 cups water
2/3 cup baking soda
1 large egg yolk
1 tablespoon water
Pretzel salt (optional)
- For the Pretzel Dough: In the bowl of a stand mixer, combine the water, sugar, salt and yeast. Allow to sit for 5 minutes or until the mixture begins to foam.
- Add the flour and melted butter to yeast mixture. Using the dough hook attachment, mix on low speed until well combined. Increase speed to medium and knead until the dough is smooth and pulls away from the side of the bowl, about 4 to 5 minutes.
- Remove the dough from the mixing bowl and place in a clean, well-oiled large bowl, cover with plastic wrap and allow to sit in a warm place for about 50 to 60 minutes or until doubled in size.
- Preheat oven to 450°F (230°C). Line 2 large baking sheets with parchment paper and lightly oil paper. Set aside.
- For the Kettle Water: Bring the water and baking soda to a rolling boil in a large kettle or cooking pot.
- Meanwhile, turn the dough out onto a slightly oiled work surface and divide into 8 equal pieces. Roll out each piece of dough into a 24-inch rope and twist into the shape of a pretzel and place onto prepared baking sheets.
- One at a time, cook the pretzels in the Kettle Water for 30 seconds; then remove with a large slotted spatula and return to the prepared baking sheets.
- For Egg Wash: In a small bowl or cup, beat the egg yolk and water together with a fork, mixing well.
- Lightly brush the tops of pretzels with the egg wash and, if desired, sprinkle with pretzel salt.
- Bake pretzels in preheated oven until dark golden brown, about 12 to 14 minutes. Transfer to wire racks to cool slightly before serving.
Makes 8 pretzels.