This recipe for Hobo Bread, a sweet bread baked in coffee cans, was submitted by Catherine of Jacksonville, Florida USA.
2 cups dark raisins
2 cups boiling water
4 teaspoons baking soda
2 cups granulated sugar
4 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
4 cups all-purpose flour
- For the First Day: Place the ingredients in a bowl overnight or for 8 hours.
- For the Next Morning: Add the remaining ingredients to the raisin mixture. Mix thoroughly.
- Grease and flour 3 (1-pound) coffee cans, fill each with dough half full.
- Bake for 1 hour in a preheated oven at 350°F (175°C).
- Let cool for 30 minutes before removing from cans.
Makes 3 loaves.