Sour Cream Rolls
Fill your kitchen with the heavenly aroma of bread baking. Sour cream lends a rich moistness to these delectable buns.
1/4 cup warm water
1 (0.25-ounce) packet active dry yeast, or 2 1/4 teaspoons
3 cups whole wheat flour
1 cup (8-ounces) sour cream
1 large egg
1/4 cup butter
3 tablespoons pure maple syrup
1/2 teaspoon salt
- Combine warm water (105°F to 115°F | 40°C to 45°C) and yeast in a small bowl or measuring cup; mix well and let stand for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, lightly oil a large bowl; set aside. Beat together whole wheat flour, sour cream, egg, butter, maple syrup and salt in a separate large bowl. Stir in the yeast mixture and form into a ball. Transfer to prepared bowl and turn to coat evenly with oil. Cover with clean dish towel and let rise until doubled in size, about 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C). Grease a large baking sheet; set aside.
- Place dough on a lightly floured surface and roll out to 1/2-inch thick. Cut into 3-inch squares and roll into balls. Place on prepared baking sheet and let rise for 30 minutes.
- Bake for 20 minutes until golden brown.
Makes 20 dinner rolls.