Poppyseed Coffee Rings
Poppyseed filling is swirled in this attractive yeast pastry coffeecake ring.
5 to 6 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1 (0.25-ounce) packet active dry yeast, or 2 1/4 teaspoons
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup butter or margarine, softened
3/4 cup milk
1/2 cup water
2 large eggs
2 tablespoons butter or margarine, melted
1 (12.50-ounce) can poppyseed filling
3/4 cup powdered sugar
1 teaspoon almond extract
2 to 3 teaspoons milk
- Combine 2 cups flour, sugar, yeast and salt in large mixer bowl.
- Combine 1 cup butter, milk and water in 1-quart saucepan. Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until mixture reaches 120 to 130°F (2 to 4 minutes). Add milk mixture and eggs to flour mixture. Beat at medium speed, scraping bowl often, until smooth (2 to 3 minutes). Stir in enough remaining flour by hand to make dough easy to handle.
- Turn dough onto lightly floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic (3 to 5 minutes). Place dough in greased bowl; turn greased-side up. Cover; let rise in warm place until double in size (about 1 hour).
- Punch down dough; divide in half. Roll each half of dough into 16 x 8-inch rectangle. Brush each rectangle with 1 tablespoon melted butter to within 1/2-inch of edge; spread with 1/2 cup poppyseed filling. Roll up, jelly roll fashion, beginning with 16-inch side; seal seam well. Form dough into ring; pinch ends to seal.
- Place each ring, seam-side down, on greased baking sheet. Cut slits 1-inch apart through top of ring to 1-inch from center with scissors. Turn each slice on its side. Cover; let rise in warm place until double in size (20 to 30 minutes).
- Heat oven to 350°F (175°C). Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from baking sheets immediately. Cool on wire racks.
- Stir together powdered sugar, almond extract and enough milk for desired glazing consistency in small bowl. Drizzle over cooled coffee rings.
Makes 32 servings (2 rings).