Cold Oven Pound Cake
"This is the BEST pound cake recipe I ever baked!! My aunt got it from a radio station about 20 years ago. She and my mom have been making it ever since, and now I am following the tradition." - Recipe submitted by Buffy.
3 sticks margarine or 1 1/2 cups margarine (not butter)
3 cups granulated sugar
5 large eggs
3 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup water
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Powdered sugar for sprinkling (optional)
- Grease and flour an angel food tube pan, Bundt® pan, or a 13x9x2-inch baking pan.
- Cream margarine and sugar. Beat it and beat it and beat it ... until it is really creamy and light colored.
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Add flour, baking powder and salt gradually to mixture. Then add water and vanilla last. Put in prepared pan and place into cold oven. Turn on oven to 350°F (175°C).
- Bake about 1 hour and 15 minutes. Test with wire or wooden pick after 1 hour, especially if you are using a 13x9x2-inch pan.
- If you will be taking it out of the pan, let cool only 5 to 10 minutes in the pan, before removing. The brown edge of cake is so good icing isn't needed. Powdered sugar for looks is optional.
Makes 12 servings.
Variations: Instead of water and vanilla; add orange juice and teaspoon of lemon extract. Or, add 1/2 cup drained crushed pineapple. Or, 1/2 cup applesauce. Or, finely chopped nuts to add nut flavor.