Grandma's Old-Fashioned Oatmeal Cake
A delicious broiled topping and maraschino cherries give this moist oatmeal cake an old-fashioned flavor with a touch of festiveness.
1 1/4 cups boiling water
1 cup old-fashioned rolled oats
3/4 cup granulated sugar
3/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1/2 cup butter or margarine, softened
2 large eggs
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 (10-ounce) jar (3/4 cup) maraschino cherries, drained, chopped
1 1/4 cups sweetened flaked coconut
1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1/3 cup butter or margarine, melted
1/3 cup whipping cream or half-and-half
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C).
- Stir together boiling water and oats in medium bowl; set aside.
- Meanwhile, combine sugar, brown sugar and 1/2 cup butter in large mixer bowl. Beat at medium speed, scraping bowl occasionally, until well mixed (1 to 2 minutes). Beat in eggs until smooth (1 to 2 minutes). Add oatmeal mixture and all remaining cake ingredients except maraschino cherries. Reduce speed to low; continue beating until well mixed (1 to 2 minutes). Stir in cherries by hand.
- Pour batter into greased and floured 13x9x2-inch baking pan. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Remove from oven.
- Preheat broiler.
- Stir together all broiled topping ingredients in medium bowl. Spread over hot cake. Broil 4 to 5-inches from heat, watching closely, until bubbly and lightly browned (2 to 4 minutes). Serve warm or cool. Garnish with whipped cream, maraschino cherries and mint leaves, if desired.
Makes 15 servings.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/15 of recipe): Calories: 360, Fat: 15 g, Cholesterol: 65 mg, Sodium: 360 mg, Carbohydrates: 53 g, Dietary Fiber: 1 g, Protein: 4 g.