The Very Best Pound Cake Ever
This terrific recipe for The Very Best Pound Cake Ever was submitted by linda of Statesville, NC.
3 cups granulated sugar
1 cup vegetable shortening
1 cup butter or margarine
6 large eggs
3 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 cup milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C). Grease and flour a 10-inch tube pan; set aside.
- Cream together the sugar, shortening and butter; add eggs one at a time.
- In a small bowl combine flour and baking powder; set aside.
- In another small bowl, combine the milk, vanilla and lemon juice.
- Beginning with the flour mixture add it alternately with the milk mixture to the creamed mixture, stirring just until mixed.
- Spoon batter into prepared pan.
- Bake for 1 hour and 20 minutes or until cake tests done when a wooden pick inserted in the center comes out clean..
- Cool cake for 10 to 15 minutes, then remove from the pan and cool completely on wire rack.
Makes 12 servings.