Search for recipes throughout
the entire site or select one of the recipe collections from
the drop-down menu on the search tool below:
An American classic enriched with yams,
both in flavor and nutrients.
Upside Down Pineapple
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar
- 2 cups sliced pineapple rounds, reserve
- 8 maraschino cherries, cut in half
- 2 tablespoons flaked coconut
- 1/4 cup walnut halves
- 1 (18.25-ounce) package yellow cake mix
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 (15-ounce) can yams, drained and mashed
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 large eggs
- 2 large egg whites
- 1 1/4 cups pineapple juice plus
water to equal amount
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C).
- Melt butter in the bottom of a 13 x 9
x 2-inch pan and sprinkle with brown sugar evenly over the melted
butter. Arrange the pineapple and cherry halves (cut side up)
on top the brown sugar. Sprinkle with coconut and walnuts.
- In a mixing bowl, mix together the cake
mix, cinnamon, mashed yams, oil, eggs, egg whites, and water.
Carefully spoon the batter into the pan, as not to disturb the
- Bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until a wooden
pick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Invert onto a serving platter and allow
it to cool slightly before serving.
Makes 24 squares.
Per serving: CAL 188; FAT 5g; PROTEIN 2g;
CARB 34g; CHOL 18mg; SODIUM 170mg
Recipe courtesy of Louisiana Sweet Potato
Rate and submit your comments
about this recipe below.