Search for recipes throughout
the entire site or select one of the recipe collections from
the drop-down menu on the search tool below:
Chicken breasts, stuffed with fresh mozzarella,
fresh basil and a slice of cooked pancetta or bacon, are breaded
in a mixture of bread crumbs, Parmesan cheese and pine nuts (pignoli)
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves
8 basil sprigs
4 slices fresh mozzarella
4 slices cooked pancetta or bacon
2 egg whites
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Crumb Mixture:
1 cup Italian-seasoned bread crumbs
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1/4 cup pine nuts, finely chopped (optional)
- Lemon wedges for accompaniment
- Preheat the oven to 400°F (205°C).
Set a rack on a sheetpan and spray it with olive oil spray.
- Cut through the thick side of each chicken
breast to create a pocket. Into each pocket press two basil sprigs,
a slice of mozzarella and a slice of pancetta or bacon (folded
in half to fit if necessary).
- In a medium bowl, stir together the crumb
- In another bowl, lightly beat egg whites.
Add garlic, salt and pepper.
- Dip stuffed chicken breasts into egg white
mixture; then press into crumb mixture, coating thoroughly. (At
this point, the breasts may be placed on a cookie tray and frozen
until almost solid; wrap in aluminum foil to store.)
- Set the chicken on the rack; bake for
25 minutes until the crumbs are golden brown and chicken is cooked
all the way through.
- Serve immediately, accompanied with fresh
Makes 4 servings.
Recipe provided courtesy of the National
Chicken Council. Used with permission.
Rate and submit your comments
about this recipe below.