Search for recipes throughout
the entire site or select one of the recipe collections from
the drop-down menu on the search tool below:
These scrumptious, gluten-free iced cherry
ring cookies make a delightful holiday treat.
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, plus more for
greasing the pans
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Finely grated zest of 1 lemon
- 1 1/2 cups gluten-free flour (be sure
to use one that includes either xanthan or guar gum, if not add
- 1/4 cup maraschino cherries, dried well
- 1/2 cup confectioners' (powdered) sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon
juice (more or less)
- 2 to 3 drops maraschino cherry liquid
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C).
Lightly grease 2 baking sheets with butter (or line with silicon
- Cream together the butter and sugar until
pale and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Add the egg yolk, lemon zest
and vanilla, mix well. Stir in the flour, add the cherries and
mix with your hands until it forms a soft dough.
- Lightly flour a surface, roll out the
dough to a 1/4-inch thickness and cut into 3-inch rounds with
a cookie cutter. Cut out the center of each cookie with a 1-inch
cookie cutter. Place the rings on the prepared baking sheets.
Re-roll any trimmings and cut more cookies. Bake the cookies
in preheated oven for 15 minutes or until they are firm and just
beginning to color. Let cool on baking sheets for 5 minutes then
transfer to a wire rack to finish cooling.
- Mix the confectioners' sugar with lemon
juice and maraschino cherry juice until it becomes a smooth paste.
It may take a little less of more lemon juice so start with less
and add a little at a time. Drizzle over the cooled cookies and
let stand until the icing sets, about 30 minutes.
Makes 10 to 15 cookies.
Recipe and photograph provided courtesy
of www.nationalcherries.com; through ECES, Inc., Electronic Color
Rate and submit your comments
about this recipe below.