Apple Cranberry Cake
This simple cake shows off the delicious combination of apples and cranberries to good effect.
5 large eggs, whites and yolks separated
1 cup unsalted butter
1/2 cup reduced fat sour cream
1 cup Splenda® Sugar Blend
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 tablespoon lemon zest
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 cup cranberries, fresh or frozen
2 cups thinly sliced, peeled cooking apples
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C).
- Whisk the softened butter, Splenda® Sugar Blend, and sour cream in a dough mixer,
- Add one egg yolk at a time, slowly, followed by the lemon zest and juice.
- Beat the egg whites in a separate bowl till they reach the soft peek stage.
- Sift flour with the baking powder.
- Fold the egg whites gently into the egg mixer. Sift the flour on top of it and fold again, adding cranberries.
- Pour the cake mixture in a greased 9-inch cake mold. Layer the apple slices on top in a circle. Push the apples slightly into the batter.
- Bake for 50 to 60 minutes or until cake tester comes out moist but clean.
Makes 10 servings.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/10 of recipe): Calories 420 | Calories from Fat 200 | Fat 23g (sat 13g) | Cholesterol 160mg | Sodium 110mg | Carbohydrates 44g | Fiber 2g | Sugars 23g | Protein 6g.
Recipe courtesy of Splenda, Inc. Splenda® is a no-calorie sweetener made from sugar that is suitable for diabetics. For more information regarding this product, please call 1-800-777-5363 or visit their website at www.splenda.com.