Cinnamon Swirl Coffee Cake
An elegant, moist coffee cake made lighter in calories by using unsweetened applesauce and light sour cream.
3 cups cake flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 cup butter
1 1/3 cups Splenda® Granulated No Calorie Sweetener
1 large egg
1/4 cup egg substitute
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
1 1/2 cups light sour cream - divided use
3 tablespoons brown sugar, packed
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C). Spray a nonstick Bundt® pan with cooking spray. Set aside.
- Sift cake flour, baking powder, and baking soda into a medium-sized mixing bowl; set aside. In a large mixing bowl, cream the butter with an electric mixer. Add Splenda® Granulated Sweetener and egg. Beat until smooth. Add the egg substitute and vanilla. Beat briefly to incorporate. Add applesauce and half of the sour cream. Beat until smooth. Add the sifted flour mixture and beat at medium speed just until smooth. Add remaining sour cream and blend just until incorporated and batter is uniform. Set aside.
- Make Filling: Place 1/4 of cake batter in a small bowl. Add brown sugar and cinnamon. Stir well.
- Place 1/2 of the remaining cake batter into prepared pan. Top with filling. Swirl with knife. Top with remaining batter.
- Bake 50 to 60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.
Makes 16 servings.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/16 of recipe): Calories: 200; Calories from Fat: 80; Total Fat: 9g; Saturated Fat: 5g; Cholesterol: 40mg; Sodium: 180mg; Total Carbs: 25g; Dietary Fiber: 1g; Sugars: 4g; Protein: 4g.
Exchanges Per Serving: 2 Starches, 1 Fat.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of Splenda, Inc. Splenda® is a no-calorie sweetener made from sugar that is suitable for diabetics. For more information regarding this product, please call 1-800-777-5363 or visit their website at www.splenda.com.