Heavenly Angel Food Cake
You'll love this great version of angel food cake! It's delicate and delicious — without all the added sugar.
1 1/2 cups large egg whites
1 1/2 teaspoons cream of tartar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 cup Splenda® Sugar Blend for Baking
1/2 cup light corn syrup
1 cup sifted cake flour
1/4 cup cornstarch
3/4 cup Splenda® Sugar Blend for Baking
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C).
- Place egg whites in a large mixing bowl; let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Add cream of tartar and vanilla extract. Beat at high speed with an electric mixer until soft peaks form. Gradually add 1/4 cup Splenda® Sugar Blend for Baking and light corn syrup.
- Sift flour and cornstarch 2 times into another large mixing bowl. Add 3/4 cup Splenda® Sugar Blend for Baking to flour mixture, stirring until blended.
- Sprinkle 1/4 of the flour mixture over the egg whites. Fold gently. Repeat procedure three times with the remaining flour mixture.
- Pour batter into an ungreased 10-inch tube pan, spreading batter evenly in pan. Cut through batter with a knife to remove air bubbles.
- Bake on lowest rack in oven for 40 to 45 minutes, or until cake springs back when lightly touched.
- Invert tube pan; cool cake in the pan for 30 to 40 minutes.
- Loosen cake from sides of pan using a narrow metal spatula; remove cake from pan.
Makes 12 servings.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/12 of recipe): Calories: 190; Calories from Fat: 0; Total Fat: 0g; Saturated Fat: 0g; Cholesterol: 0mg; Sodium: 65mg; Total Carbs: 39g; Dietary Fiber: 0g; Sugars: 23g; Protein: 4g.
Exchanges Per Serving: 2 Starches.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of Splenda, Inc. Splenda® is a no-calorie sweetener made from sugar that is suitable for diabetics. For more information regarding this product, please call 1-800-777-5363 or visit their website at www.splenda.com.