Sugar-Free Strawberry Pie
"My husband loves this pie. You might not like it as sweet and can reduce the amount of Splenda because there is sweetener in the sugar free strawberry gelatin. The whipped topping seems to take out the bitter taste from the sugar free gelatin. Enjoy." Recipe submitted by Elizabeth of Gold Canyon.
1 cup all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons Splenda®* brand sweetener
2 tablespoons butter or margarine
3 tablespoons cornstarch
1 cup of water (or more depending on depth of pie crust)
1/8 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup of Splenda®* brand sweetener, depending on taste
3 tablespoon water
1 small box of sugar free gelatin - add 1 tablespoon unflavored gelatin if too watery (or use 3 tablespoons regular strawberry flavored gelatin)
1 quart fresh strawberries, rinsed, drained and sliced
Imitation strawberry flavoring (optional)
Lite-style nondairy whipped topping (optional)
- For Crust: Preheat oven to 425°F (220°C).
- Blend ingredients together, does not need rolling, can be patted into pie tin. Bake for 8 to 10 minutes or until light brown. Cool completely.
- For Filling: Combine cornstarch and salt in saucepan; add water. Bring to a boil, while stirring, add Splenda to mixture. When mixture has thickened, remove from heat and add sugar-free strawberry gelatin (you don't want to cook the artificial sweetener that is in the sugar-free gelatin or it will taste bitter). Stir until gelatin dissolves. Add strawberry flavoring, if desired, I add a few sprinklings of strawberry flavoring to help with taste. Set mixture aside to cool.
- Heap sliced strawberries into cooled pie shell. Pour glaze over strawberries. Chill until glaze has set, about 1 1/2 hours.
- Spread whipped topping over pie before serving, or serve the pie with a dollop of whipped topping atop each slice, as desired.
Makes 6 servings.
*Splenda is a no-calorie sweetener made from sugar that is suitable for diabetics. For more information regarding this product, please call 1-800-777-5363 or visit their website at www.splenda.com.