Vietnamese Oven-Baked Cornish Game Hens
Cornish game hens seem so upscale. These require some effort in preparation, but the results are worth it.
3 Cornish game hens
2 tablespoons salt
1 1/4 cups dry white wine
1 cup MAGGI Seasoning Sauce
1 cup peeled, finely chopped fresh ginger
2 shallots, finely chopped
8 cups water
1/2 cup granulated sugar
6 whole star anise pods
3 cinnamon sticks
3 tablespoons oyster sauce
1 tablespoon Chinese five spice
1 tablespoon ground black pepper
Juice from 1 lemon
2 tablespoons honey
2 tablespoons MAGGI Seasoning Sauce
Hot cooked rice
- Cut hens into quarters and sprinkle both sides with salt. Let stand for 10 minutes in a sieve. Rinse thoroughly.
- Combine wine, 1 cup seasoning sauce, ginger and shallots in large bowl. Place hens in marinade; mix well. Cover; refrigerate for at least 2 hours or overnight.
- Combine water, sugar, star anise, cinnamon sticks, oyster sauce, Chinese five spice and pepper in large stockpot or Dutch oven. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat.
- Add hens to spice mixture; discard marinade. Cover; return to a boil. Turn off heat; let hens stand in hot liquid for 20 minutes to poach.
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C). Line large baking pan with foil; grease thoroughly.
- Remove hens from pot and air dry on paper towels.
- Mix lemon juice, honey and 2 tablespoons seasoning sauce in small bowl until well combined. Brush mixture on both sides of hens. Place hens skin-side-up in prepared baking pan.
- Bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until golden brown and crispy.
- Serve with rice.
Makes 6 servings.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/6 of recipe): Calories: 450 Calories from Fat: 210 Total Fat: 24 g Saturated Fat: 7 g Cholesterol: 170 mg Sodium: 1380 mg Carbohydrates: 27 g Dietary Fiber: 0 g Sugars: 10 g Protein: 30 g.
Recipe and photograph are the property of Nestlé® and Meals.com, used with permission.