Wild Duck L'Orange
"I am an avid duck hunter and invented this recipe through various experimentation. I used the chili powder one day because I thought I picked up paprika and found that it was much better!" - Submitted by Lisa Doricchi of Chesapeake City, Maryland USA.
2 mallard ducks
2 tablespoons chili powder
2 tablespoons Lawry's brand garlic salt
1 large Granny Smith apple
2 garlic cloves
2 sage leaves
1 teaspoon light olive oil
4 tablespoons mango chutney (Major Greys bottled found in grocery store)
2 tablespoons peach preserves (low sugar)
Juice of one whole orange
3 tablespoons of duck drippings from pan
1/4 cup of red wine (Cabernet)
- Sprinkle chili powder and garlic salt all over ducks.
- Cut 1-inch slice in skin of ducks on both sides of breasts. Purée garlic, sage and olive oil and fill in slices in skin with mixture.
- Chop apple into 1-inch pieces and stuff inside ducks.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 350°F (175°C) for 1 hour and 10 minutes for slightly rare ducks.
- For L'Orange Sauce: Put ingredients in saucepan and heat until alcohol simmers off, about 6 minutes. Serve L'Orange sauce over sliced duck breasts. Makes about 1 cup.
Makes 4 servings.