Wild goose, brined and then roasted with bacon, onion, apple, celery, herbs, vegetable consommé and red wine.
1 (approximately 10-pound) goose
2 onions, sliced
2 apples, sliced
2 strips of bacon
1 onion, sliced
1 carrot, peeled and sliced
1 celery rib, sliced
1 bay leaf
2 tablespoons chopped flat-leaf parsley
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
2 cups vegetable consommé
3 cups water
1 cup red wine
1 tablespoon cornstarch
2 tablespoons cold water
- Soak 1 plucked, cleaned goose overnight in salted water. Rinse and dry.
- Stuff goose with sliced onions and sliced apples. Place breast side up in open roaster pan and cover with strips of bacon.
- Roast in a 475°F (245°C) oven until the bacon is crisp. Drain the fat and remove the bacon from the goose.
- Add to the pan, sliced onion, sliced carrot, sliced celery rib, bay leaf, parsley, thyme, vegetable consommé, water, and red wine. Cover the pan and roast at lowered temperature of 375°F (190°C) for 2 to 2 1/2 hours, basting often, until tender.
- Remove and discard the stuffing.
- Strain the gravy and thicken with cornstarch mixed with cold water.
Makes 8 servings.