Search for recipes throughout
the entire site or select one of the recipe collections from
the drop-down menu on the search tool below:
Instead of lamb, chicken is used in this
traditional Greek sandwich. Serve with a mixed greens salad for
a complete meal.
Another delicious recipe from our Family-Favorite
Chicken Gyros with
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon chopped
- 2 large garlic cloves, finely minced
- 1 teaspoon plus 1 tablespoon fresh lemon
- 1 pound skinless boneless chicken breast
halves, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 medium onions, thinly sliced
- 4 fresh pita bread rounds, heated
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- In small bowl blend together yogurt, 2
tablespoons dill, garlic and 1 teaspoon
lemon juice. Season with salt and pepper.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in heavy large skillet
over medium-high heat. Add chicken with oregano, 1 teaspoon dill,
salt and pepper. Sauté until
browned and cooked through, about about
5 minutes. Transfer to a bowl.
- Add 1 tablespoon oil to skillet and sauté
onions until golden brown, about 10
minutes. Return chicken and any juices
to skillet. Add 1 tablespoon lemon juice. Stir until
heated through, about 2 minutes.
- Top pita rounds with chicken mixture.
Spoon dill sauce over chicken and serve.
This sandwich is folded in half and
eaten. Pass the extra sauce, as desired.
Rate and submit your comments
about this recipe below.