This classic Italian robust mix of cannellini
(white kidney beans) and macaroni in a light tomato sauce, is
ready to serve in under 30 minutes.
Pasta e Fagioli
4 tablespoons olive oil
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 (16-ounce) can Italian plum tomatoes, drained, chopped
2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
1/2 teaspoon dried basil, crumbled
1/4 teaspoon dried oregano, crumbled
1 (15-ounce) can cannellini beans (white kidney beans), rinsed,
Salt and pepper
8 ounces elbow macaroni, freshly cooked
Freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Heat 3 tablespoons oil in heavy large
skillet over medium heat. Add garlic and sauté until brown,
about 2 minutes.
- Stir in tomatoes and cook 5 minutes.
- Add parsley, basil and oregano and simmer
until tomatoes soften, stirring occasionally and breaking up
tomatoes with back of spoon, about 15 minutes.
- Add beans and cook until heated through,
about 5 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper. Place pasta
in bowl. Toss with remaining 1 tablespoon oil. Pour sauce over
and toss thoroughly.
- Serve, passing Parmesan separately.
Serves 2 to 4.