Search for recipes throughout
the entire site or select one of the recipe collections from
the drop-down menu on the search tool below:
'Seen Lo Shun Chow Ngau Yook', a classic
Chinese stir-fry dish made with beef and fresh asparagus.
Stir-Fried Beef with
- 12 ounces boneless top sirloin steak
- 2 teaspoons light soy sauce
- 1 clove garlic, mashed to pulp with 1/2
- 1 pound fresh tender asparagus
- 2 medium onions
- 2 tablespoons peanut oil
- 2 teaspoons Chinese bean sauce (min sze
- 1/4 cup beef broth
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch (cornflour) combined
with 1 tablespoon cold water
- Hot cooked long-grain white rice for accompaniment
- Trim all fat from steak and discard. Cut
steak across the grain into paper-thin slices, then cut into
bite-size strips. Sprinkle with soy and mix in mashed garlic/salt
mixture. Set aside to marinate while preparing the asparagus
- Wash asparagus well. Cut off tough ends
of stalks and peel away the skin from the base to within an inch
or so of the tender tops. With a sharp knife cut into thin slices
on the sharp diagonal so the slices are quite long and oval shaped.
Keep the tips whole and set aside.
- Peel onions, cut in half lengthwise, then
cut each half into 4 to 6 wedges. Cut the wedges in half, crosswise.
Separate layers of onion.
- Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a wok over high
heat. Fry meat over high heat until browned. Transfer to a bowl.
- Wipe out pan, heat remaining 2 tablespoons
oil over high heat and stir-fry the sliced asparagus stalks for
3 minutes. Add onion and fry for 1 minute longer. Add bean sauce
and broth and stir. Add the asparagus tips. Reduce heat, cover
and cook for 5 minutes or until asparagus is crisp-tender.
- Return beef to pan and bring liquid to
a boil; stir in the cornstarch/water mixture and cook for 1 minute
or until liquid thickens, stirring gently. Serve immediately
with hot cooked white rice.
Makes 4 to 6 servings.
* Available in Asian specialty markets
and most supermarkets in the Asian specialty aisle.
Rate and submit your comments
about this recipe below.