Search for recipes throughout
the entire site or select one of the recipe collections from
the drop-down menu on the search tool below:
Ready-to-use refrigerated pie crust makes
preparation of these fruit and cheese-filled empanadas a snap.
Cherry Jack Empanada
- 1/2 cup almonds, slivered
1 (15-ounce) package refrigerated pie crust rounds (2 crusts)
1 (16-ounce) can tart red cherries, well drained, or fresh cherries,
1/2 cup dried apricots, diced
1/4 teaspoon almond flavoring
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 tablespoon brown sugar, packed
1 1/2 cups (6 ounces) Wisconsin Monterey Jack Cheese, shredded
1 egg, beaten
1 tablespoon milk
3 tablespoons coarse sugar
- Preheat oven to 400ºF (205ºC).
- Toast almonds 6 to 8 minutes on cookie
sheet in oven until lightly golden.
- Unfold both pie crusts on baking sheet.
- In a bowl, combine toasted almonds, cherries,
apricots, almond flavoring, cinnamon, brown sugar and cheese;
- Spoon half of mixture onto half of one
pie crust round, within 1-inch of edge, leaving other half of
pastry round uncovered. Fold pastry over filling; crimping edges
to seal. Finished empanada should resemble a half-circle. Repeat
with remaining crust and filling.
- In a small bowl, combine egg and milk.
- Brush empañadas with egg mixture
and sprinkle with sugar.
- Cut four small slits in top of each empanada.
- Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until pastry
is golden brown.
Makes 12 servings.
Recipe and photograph provided courtesy
of Wisconsin Milk Marketing Board, Inc.
Rate and submit your comments
about this recipe below.