Search for recipes throughout
the entire site or select one of the recipe collections from
the drop-down menu on the search tool below:
We can thank innovative Southern cooks
for incorporating a popular soft drink into traditional holiday
fare. Unusual combination of ingredients or not, the end result
of this recipe is one of the tastiest hams ever.
Another delicious recipe from our Family-Favorite
Holiday Cola Baked
- 1 (10 to 12 pound) bone-in ham
- Whole cloves
- 1 (1-pound) box dark brown sugar
- 1 (12-ounce) can cola-flavored carbonated
beverage (not diet)
- 1 (14-ounce) can pineapple rings, drained
and the juice reserved
- 1 cup sweet concord grape wine
- 10 to 12 maraschino cherries
- Preheat oven to 325°F (160°C).
- Using a sharp knife, remove the rind from
ham. Score surface of ham crosswise
and lengthwise, forming a crisscross
pattern about 1/4-inch deep and 1-inch
apart. Place 1 clove in the center of each
- Place ham, fat side up, in a roasting
pan. Press brown sugar onto the surface
of the ham. Expect some sugar to fall
into the roasting pan.
- Place in oven
and bake until brown sugar just begins to melt,
about 30 minutes.
- Pour the cola over ham, mixing with melted
sugar in bottom of roasting pan. Baste ham
with the cola mixture and bake an additional 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine reserved pineapple
juice and the wine in a small bowl.
Baste ham with pineapple mixture every
- Bake ham for a total of 16 minutes per
pound. During the last 20 minutes of
baking time, remove ham from oven and
decorate with the pineapple rings.
Use 2 to 3 wooden picks to hold each ring in
place. Place a cherry in the center of each ring, also using a wooden pick. Return to oven and
continue to bake the final 20 minutes.
- Remove from oven and allow to stand for
at least 15 minutes before transferring
to serving platter.
- Skim excess fat from pan juices and serve
with the ham.
Serves 12 to 16.
Copyright Hope Pryor, please see Terms
Rate and submit your comments
about this recipe below.