"My version of this classic fruit
salad is a long-time family favorite that is a must-have
at our holiday meals." - Hope Pryor, Owner and Publisher
Another delicious recipe from our Family-Favorite
- 1 cup whipping or heavy cream
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar (or taste)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 naval orange, zested and supremed*
- 1 cup sweetened flaked coconut
2 cups miniature marshmallows
1 (20-ounce) can pineapple tidbits, well drained
2 (11-ounce) cans mandarin oranges, well drained
- 2 cups seedless red or green grapes, washed
and dried (or a combination of both)
- In large mixing bowl, beat together whipping
cream, powdered sugar and vanilla until stiff peaks form.
- Stir sour cream to loosen up and gently
fold into whipped cream just until blended.
- Fold in orange zest, coconut and marshmallows,
then fold in the supremed orange segments, pineapple, mandarin
oranges and grapes.
- Transfer ambrosia to serving dish. Cover
and refrigerate for 1 to 2 hours before serving.
Makes 12 servings. (Recipe can be doubled.)
*To Supreme an Orange: Using a paring knife,
remove the skin, pith, and outer membrane from the citrus fruit.
Carefully cut each segment away from white membranes.
Tip: For best results be sure to drain
the canned fruit well.
Variation: Reduce the pineapple and mandarin
oranges by half and add the same amount of any fresh or frozen
fruit that suits your fancy such as sliced bananas, chopped unpeeled
apple, whole strawberries, blueberries, cut peaches and nectarines.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/12
of recipe): 194.2 calories; 41% calories from fat; 9.3g total
fat; 19.5mg cholesterol; 24.7mg sodium; 242.2mg potassium; 28.3g
carbohydrates; 1.5g fiber; 20.6g sugar; 26.8g net carbs; 1.9g
Copyright Hope Pryor, please see Terms
of Use. Photograph by Hope Pryor; property of CooksRecipes.com.