Search for recipes throughout
the entire site or select one of the recipe collections from
the drop-down menu on the search tool below:
Baby greens, arugula, slivered red bell
pepper, cubes of pear, candied walnuts and soft goat cheese are
tossed with a balsamic and shallot vinaigrette.
Candied Walnut, Pear
and Goat Cheese Salad
- 1 cup walnut halves
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 5 cups baby lettuce greens or torn mixed
- 2 cups arugula leaves, torn
- 1 small red bell pepper, seeded, stemmed
- 2 pears, cored and cubed
- 1 1/2 ounces soft goat cheese, crumbled
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
1 teaspoon minced shallot
1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
Salt to taste
Freshly ground pepper to taste
- In a heavy, nonstick skillet melt the
sugar around the almonds, stirring
constantly. Remove from heat immediately and quickly spread onto foil-covered
surface to cool. Break apart, if necessary.
- Combine the lettuce, bell pepper, pears,
cheese, and the candied walnuts in serving bowl and toss to coat
- Season with salt and pepper as desired
- For Vinaigrette: In a small bowl, whisk
together the vinegar and the shallot. Add the oil in a stream,
whisking until it is emulsified. Season the vinaigrette with
salt and pepper to taste.
Makes 6 servings.
Rate and submit your comments
about this recipe below.