This elegant strawberry and arugula salad,
with its cocoa-spiced pecans, takes a little extra effort but
it's worth it. The salad is a perfect choice for entertaining.
Arugula Salad with Cocoa-Spiced Pecans
- Cocoa-Spiced Pecans:
- Parchment paper or nonstick cooking spray
- 1 large egg white
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon NESTLÉ® TOLL HOUSE®
- 1 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper or ancho
- 4 cups pecan halves
- Strawberry & Arugula Salad:
- 1 (5.3-ounce) container soft goat's milk
- 2 1/2 cups halved or quartered strawberries
- About 2/3 cup Cocoa-Spiced Pecans
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon each fine sea salt and freshly
ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons balsamic syrup*
- 2 1/2 cups arugula, washed and dried
- For Cocoa-Spiced Pecans: Preheat oven
to 325°F (160°C). Line baking sheet with parchment paper
or spray with nonstick cooking spray.
- Whisk together egg white, sugar, cocoa,
salt, cinnamon and cayenne pepper in medium bowl. Stir in nuts;
stir until completely coated. Pour nuts onto prepared baking
sheet and spread into a single layer.
- Bake for 20 minutes; remove from oven.
Using spatula, stir and separate nuts. Reduce oven temperature
to 250°F (120°C) and continue to bake for 15 minutes.
Cool completely on baking sheet on wire rack, then break into
pieces. Store in airtight container for up to 2 weeks. Makes
- For Strawberry & Arugula Salad: Place
about 2 tablespoons goat cheese in the center of each of 5 salad
plates. Scatter about 1/2 cup strawberries and 2 tablespoons
cocoa-spiced pecans around. Drizzle with oil. Sprinkle with salt
and pepper. Drizzle with syrup. Top each with a handful (about
1/2 cup) arugula.
Makes 5 servings.
*If you cant find balsamic syrup,
you can make your own reduction by boiling balsamic vinegar until
reduced by half. Cool completely before using.
Nutritional Information Not Provided.
Recipe and photograph are the property
of Nestlé® and Meals.com, used with permission.