Search for recipes throughout
the entire site or select one of the recipe collections from
the drop-down menu on the search tool below:
A great choice instead of the traditional
potato salad. The spices, pineapple and toasted pecans provide
the perfect complement to the naturally sweet yams.
Tropical Sweet Potato
- 2 pounds sweet potatoes (yams), peeled
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 bunch green onions, sliced
- 1 (20-ounce) can pineapple chunks, drained
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans, toasted
- 1/3 cup light mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon grated orange rind
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Salt to taste
- In a saucepan, cook sweet potatoes for
8 to 10 minutes in boiling water just until tender. Do not overcook.
Drain and toss with lemon juice; set aside.
- Add the celery, green onions, pineapple
chunks, and pecans.
- In a small bowl, combine mayonnaise, orange
rind, orange juice, honey, ginger, and salt.
- Mix the mayonnaise dressing with the sweet
potato mixture, tossing gently. Serve immediately or cover and
Makes 8 to 10 servings.
* Created by Louisiana Sweet Potato Commission
spokesperson, Holly Clegg.
Recipe provided of Lousiana Sweet Potato
Rate and submit your comments
about this recipe below.