Search for recipes throughout
the entire site or select one of the recipe collections from
the drop-down menu on the search tool below:
A 'deliteful' Italian-style bean, tomato
and bread salad.
Tuscan Bean, Tomato
and Bread Salad
- 4 cups cubed sourdough or Italian bread
Vegetable cooking spray (may be garlic- or butter-flavored)
- Basil Dressing:
- 1 cup packed basil leaves
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 to 2 tablespoons balsamic or red wine vinegar
2 tablespoons water
1/8 teaspoon salt
2 cups diced tomato
1 cup cubed cucumber
1/4 cup chopped onion
1 (15-ounce) can Great Northern beans or pinto beans, rinsed,
Salt and pepper, to taste
- For Croutons: Generously spray bread cubes
with cooking spray and toss; spray again and toss. Arrange bread
cubes on jelly roll pan; bake at 375°F (190°C) until
toasted, about 8 to 10 minutes. Set aside.
- For Basil Dressing: Process all ingredients
in food processor or blender until almost smooth. Refrigerate
until ready to use. Makes about 1/2
- For Salad: In salad bowl, toss tomato,
cucumber, onion and beans with Basil Dressing; season with salt
and pepper, add toasted bread cubes and toss again. Serve immediately.
Makes 4 main-dish servings or 8 side-dish
- Bread may be prepared 1 to 2 days in advance;
cool and store in airtight container at room temperature.
- Basil Dressing can be made 1 to 2 days
in advance; refrigerate, covered.
- Any prepared basil or Italian dressing
can be substituted.
Recipe provided courtesy of The Bean Education
& Awareness Network.
Rate and submit your comments
about this recipe below.