Search for recipes throughout
the entire site or select one of the recipe collections from
the drop-down menu on the search tool below:
Grilling vegetables gives them that incredible
charred flavor that cannot be duplicated by any other cooking
method and provides the makings of an extraordinarily delicious
Grilled Veggie Sandwich
- 8 large garlic cloves, peeled
- 1 teaspoon plus 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 red bell peppers, halved, seeded
- 4 1/2-inch thick eggplant slices
- 1 medium zucchini, cut lengthwise into
- 4 large fresh shiitake mushrooms, stems
- 8 green onions, left whole but trimmed
- 2 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 4 large whole-grain rolls, halved, toasted
- 1 tomato, thinly sliced
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C).
- Place garlic on a square of foil;
drizzle with 1 teaspoon oil. Wrap and bake
until garlic is tender, about 35 minutes.
Cool and mash garlic.
- Prepare barbecue (medium-high heat) or
preheat broiler. Grill or broil peppers,
rounded side toward heat, until peppers are charred, about 10 minutes. Wrap in paper bag; let stand
10 minutes. Peel peppers. Transfer
- Arrange eggplant, zucchini, mushrooms
and green onions on a baking sheet.
Brush vegetables on each side with 1 tablespoon oil. Season with salt and pepper. Grill or broil
vegetables until golden and tender,
turning once, about 6 minutes per side.
- Cut green onions into 2-inch pieces. Transfer
vegetables to platter with peppers.
Sprinkle with thyme and basil.
- Whisk vinegar and remaining 1 tablespoon
oil in bowl until blended. Season with
salt and pepper. Drizzle dressing over vegetables.
- Spread rolls with mashed garlic, dividing
equally. Top each roll with tomato
slices, then roasted pepper, eggplant, zucchini, green
onions and mushroom.
Rate and submit your comments
about this recipe below.