Search for recipes throughout
the entire site or select one of the recipe collections from
the drop-down menu on the search tool below:
Here's a fun burger that's sure to put
a smile on the faces of hard-playing little cowpokes after a
day out on the on range.
Open Face Cowboy
- 1 pound ground beef
1/2 cup diced celery
1 tablespoon butter
1/3 cup tomato sauce
1/2 cup tomato ketchup
2 large hamburger buns, split
6 slices (1 ounce each) Wisconsin Mild Cheddar, Brick or Colby
- Use slices of your favorite vegetables
and garnish to decorate the face, such as carrots, cucumbers,
pickles, olives, red onions, mushrooms, celery, and peppers.
- Sauté ground beef and skim off
fat. Set aside.
- In a saucepan, sauté celery in
butter. When tender, add the ground beef, tomato sauce and ketchup.
Season slightly with onion salt.
- Cover the split buns with sliced cheese.
Place under broiler just long enough to melt cheese.
- Remove from broiler and spoon on the ground
- Arrange eyes and mouths
made from remaining cheese slices on ground beef mix.
- Return to broiler to slightly melt cheese.
- Add olives or mushroom buttons to accent
the eyes and nose on the face.
- Place sandwiches on plates and arrange
ears using cucumbers, carrots or red onions. Create
a crown using celery or a pickle. Slice green, red,
or yellow pepper strips as or simply use cheese slices for collars.
Makes 4 servings.
Recipe and photograph provided courtesy
of Wisconsin Milk Marketing Board, Inc.
Rate and submit your comments
about this recipe below.