A great gift idea! Jars of colorful pickled
vegetables are so pretty, there's no need to wrap them. To decorate,
just cover the lid with a square of fabric or decorative paper
and tie with a lovely ribbon or strands of raffia.
- 1 large head cauliflower
- 2 quarts water
- 1 quart white vinegar
- 3/4 cup honey
- 3 tablespoons mustard seeds
- 1 1/2 teaspoons celery seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon black peppercorns
- 1 pound baby carrots, scraped
- 6 celery stalks, cut into thin 2-inch
- 1 (16-ounce) can whole green beans, drained
- 8 small cloves garlic
- 8 small hot peppers
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- Remove large outer leaves of cauliflower;
break into florets. Set aside.
- Combine water and next 5 ingredients in
a non-aluminum Dutch oven. Bring to a boil; reduce heat, and
simmer 30 minutes.
- Remove foam from surface. Add carrots.
Bring to boil; reduce heat and simmer 3 minutes. Add cauliflower
and celery. Bring to boil; reduce heat and simmer 5 minutes.
- Add pepper strips and green beans and
simmer 3 minutes.
- Spoon vegetable into 8 (2-cup) jars. Pour
hot vinegar mixture over vegetables, evenly distributing spices.
- Add 1 clove garlic, 1 hot pepper and 1/8
teaspoon salt to each jar. Let cool.
- Seal jars and refrigerate 1 week.
Makes 8 (2-cup) jars.
DIRECTIONS FOR GIFT CARD: Store Pickled
Vegetables in refrigerator up to 3 weeks.
Adapted from a recipe from Southern Living.