"I wanted to put together an easy
dish that was heart healthy and at the same time would be a favorite
for the entire family. I started with a family choice of pasta,
and then added my favorite heart-wise foods. Everyone loves it!"
- Marci B., Lake Placid, Florida
Happy Heart Pasta
- 8 ounces whole wheat rotini pasta
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 carrot, sliced
- 1 small yellow squash, sliced
- 1 cup broccoli florets
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 1/2 cups small frozen cooked shrimp,
- 1/2 cup grape tomatoes, halved
- 1/3 cup (1 1/3 ounces) freshly grated
- Prepare the pasta according to package
directions. Drain and place in a large serving bowl.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large skillet
over medium-high heat. Add the onion, bell pepper, and garlic
and cook, stirring occasionally, for 3 minutes, or until lightly
- Add the carrot, squash, broccoli, black
pepper, and crushed red pepper. Cook, stirring constantly, for
5 minutes longer, or until crisp-tender.
- Stir in the shrimp and tomatoes and cook
for 3 minutes, or until heated through. Pour over the pasta and
sprinkle with the cheese.
Makes 6 servings.
Heart healthy ingredients: 9
Nutritional Information Per Serving: 296
calories, 103 calories from fat, 12 g total fat, 2 g saturated
fat, 7 g monounsaturated fat, 2 g polyunsaturated fat, 36 mg
cholesterol, 126 mg sodium, 37 g carbohydrates, 6 g fiber, 5
g sugar, 12 g protein
Click here to view the article, .
Recipe excerpted from WomenHeart's All
Heart Family Cookbook: Featuring the 40 Foods Proven to Promote
Heart Health by Kathy Kastan, LCSW, MA ED, and Suzanne Banfield,
PhD, with Wendy Leonard and the Members of WomenHeart: The National
Coalition for Women with Heart Disease. www.womensheart.org
Rate and submit your comments
about this recipe below.