A treasure of succulent seafood covered in rich mornay sauce and topped with a crust of buttery crushed cracker crumbs.
1/2 pound scallops
1 1/4 pounds shrimp
1/2 cup white wine
1/2 cup vermouth
1/3 cup butter
1 tablespoon finely minced onion
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
3 cups milk
1/2 cup shredded Gruyère cheese
1/2 cup shredded Swiss cheese
2/3 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
3/4 cup crushed saltine crackers
1/8 teaspoon paprika
1/4 cup butter or margarine, melted
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C).
- In a skillet or shallow pan poach scallops and peeled, cleaned shrimp in white wine for 3 to 4 minutes; drain.
- In a separate pan, poach oysters in vermouth. Combine the seafood and spoon into a baking dish.
- Melt butter in a heavy saucepan; add minced onion and sauté until tender. Add flour, stirring until smooth. Cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Gradually add milk and cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until thickened and bubbly. Add shredded Gruyère cheese, shredded Swiss cheese, and grated Parmesan cheese; stir until melted and smooth. Season with salt, pepper, and nutmeg.
- Spoon the sauce over the seafood and sprinkle with crushed crackers and paprika. Drizzle with melted butter or margarine.
- Bake for 20 to 30 minutes.
Makes 6 servings.