Search for recipes throughout
the entire site or select one of the recipe collections from
the drop-down menu on the search tool below:
Some of the steps for this dressing can
be done the day ahead to save time, including cooking the wild
rice. Serve along with a holiday roast, like a rack of pork.
Wild Rice and Cranberry
Dressing with Sausage and Almonds
- 6 cups 1/2-inch cubes of day-old French
1/2 cup slivered almonds
3/4 pound Italian sausage
2 large onions, chopped
1 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
1 teaspoon dried sage leaves, crumbled
1 1/3 cups wild rice
4 to 6 cups chicken broth
1 12-ounce package fresh cranberries
1 tablespoon melted butter
Fresh rosemary, optional
- Dry bread cubes in a 350°F (175°C)
oven by spreading on a shallow baking pan and baking for 20 minutes,
until lightly browned.
- Toast almonds by spreading on a cookie
sheet and baking in a 350°F (175°C) oven for 10 minutes,
shaking pan occasionally.
- Saute sausage, onions, and herbs in a
large skillet until onion is tender, about 10 minutes.
- In large saucepan, combine wild rice with
four cups chicken broth, bring to a boil, cover and lower heat
to a simmer. Cook for 45 minutes, stirring occasionally. Drain
rice, reserving liquid.
- In large bowl, combine bread crumbs, almonds,
sausage mixture, wild rice and cranberries; place in a 13x9-inch
- Measure reserved broth and add enough
additional broth to make three cups; drizzle over dressing.
- Cover with foil and bake in a 350°F
(175°C) oven for 40 minutes, until heated through.
- Uncover, drizzle with melted butter and
bake for 10 minutes more.
- Serve garnished with fresh rosemary sprigs,
Recipe provided courtesy of Pork, The Other
Rate and submit your comments
about this recipe below.