Search for recipes throughout
the entire site or select one of the recipe collections from
the drop-down menu on the search tool below:
A flavorful soup garnished with a dollop
of yogurt topping is perfect to serve for a light lunch or as
an elegant first course.
Curried Pear Soup
- Curried Pear Soup:
- 1/3 cup unsalted butter
6 cups diced peeled pears
2 cups onions, chopped
2 cups leeks, sliced (white and light green parts only)
1 teaspoon garlic, minced
3 tablespoons unbleached all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons curry powder
6 cups chicken stock
1/2 cup dry white wine
1/4 teaspoon salt
- Yogurt Topping:
1 tablespoon unsalted butter
1/4 cup sliced green onions
1 tablespoon liquid honey
1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
1/3 cup plain yogurt
Salt and pepper to taste
- For Curried Pear Soup: In a large saucepan
melt butter and add pears, onions, leeks and garlic and saute
for 2 minutes.
- Add flour and curry powder and saute until
the pears become soft, about 5 minutes.
- Next stir in chicken stock and dry white
- Reduce the heat and simmer until the soup
is slightly thickened, about 15 minutes.
- Use an immersion blender to puree the
soup, it will take about 2 to 3 minutes. You can use a blender
by adding small batches at a time or a food processor.
- For the Yogurt Topping: Melt butter in
a skillet over medium heat add sliced scallions and saute until
tender, about 2 minutes.
- Add honey and sesame oil and cook for
about a minute.
- Remove from the heat and stir in plain
- Taste and adjust seasoning as desired
with salt and pepper.
- Ladle the soup into bowls and top with
Makes 8 servings.
Recipe and video provided courtesy of HolidayKitchen.tv.
Photograph property of CooksRecipes.com.
Rate and submit your comments
about this recipe below.