Roasting a whole turkey is something that
most of us undertake only once or twice a year, follow these
steps and your bird will be tender, juicy and perfectly presented.
Whole Roasted Turkey
Ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 325°F (160°C).
- First remove the giblets and neck from
the cavity. You can reserve these parts for the gravy.
- Rinse the turkey with cold running water
and drain well.
- Blot dry with paper towels.
- Season the inside cavity with salt and
- Fold the wings under the body, to prevent
the tips from burning.
- Tie the legs together with butcher string.
- Fold the neck skin and fasten it to the
back with a skewer.
- Drizzle the outside of the turkey with
Bertolli Extra Virgin Olive Oil.
- Season generously with salt and pepper.
- Place the turkey, breast side up, on a
rack in a large shallow a roasting pan no more than 2.5 inch
- Insert an oven-safe thermometer into thickest
part of the thigh, being careful it does not touch the bone.
- Roast the turkey in a preheated 325°F
(160°C) oven about 3 1/2 hours depending on the weight.
- Frequently baste the turkey with the pan
- Continue to roast until the thermometer
registers 165°F (75°C).
- Remove the turkey from the oven and allow
the bird to rest for 15 to 20 minutes before carving.
Servings dependent on size of turkey.
Cook's Note: Turkey defrosting times: 8
to 12 pounds will take 1 to 2 days. 12 to 16 pounds will take
2 to 3 days. Allow approximately 24 hours for every 5 pounds
in a refrigerator set at 40°F (5°C).
here to watch step-by-step video for How to Carve a Turkey.
Recipe and video provided courtesy of HolidayKitchen.tv.