Asiago Cheese and Shrimp Puffs
with Mediterranean Concasser of Tomato
Crisp asiago and shrimp puffs are served with a delicous plum tomato sauce. Recipe by Chef Michael Smith.
2 teaspoons olive oil
1/4 cup red bell pepper, chopped
1/4 cup green bell pepper, chopped
1/3 cup onion, finely chopped
1 to 2 tablespoons fresh garlic, finely chopped
1/4 teaspoon fresh marjoram leaves, chopped
1/4 teaspoon fresh oregano leaves, chopped
1/4 teaspoon fresh basil leaves, chopped
1/4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
4 ounces raw shrimp, peeled, deveined
1 egg white
8 sheets (17x12 inches each) phyllo dough
1/2 cup butter, melted
3 cups (10 ounces) Wisconsin Asiago cheese, shredded
Plum Tomato Sauce:
1 teaspoon olive oil
3 tablespoons onion, finely chopped
1/4 teaspoon fresh garlic, finely chopped
3/4 cup (8 ounces) plum tomatoes, peeled, seeded, chopped
1/4 cup canned, crushed tomatoes
1 1/2 teaspoons fresh basil, chopped
1/2 teaspoon fresh oregano leaves, chopped
1/2 teaspoon fresh marjoram leaves, chopped
Salt and hot pepper sauce, to taste
- Heat olive oil in 10 inch skillet. Add peppers, onion, garlic, marjoram leaves, oregano leaves, basil leaves and hot pepper sauce. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until vegetables are tender, 3 to 5 minutes. Remove from heat; cool.
- In food processor, purée shrimp until smooth, 15 to 20 seconds. Add egg white; purée until blended. Spoon shrimp mixture into large chilled bowl. Stir in cooled vegetable mixture until well-combined. Set aside.
- Cut phyllo sheets in half lengthwise to form 16 (17x6 inch) sheets. For each puff, stack 2 sheets on top of each other. Brush melted butter between and on top of phyllo. Place 17 inch side of phyllo horizontal to edge of counter. In top left-hand corner of phyllo, layer about 3 tablespoons shredded Asiago cheese, 2 tablespoons shrimp mixture and another 3 tablespoons Asiago cheese. Gently fold top left-hand corner of phyllo down and to the right to form a triangle over the shrimp and cheese. (Be sure to keep shrimp and cheese inside dough.) Continue to fold dough, being sure to form triangles, until a triangular "puff" forms. Repeat this process with remaining sheets of phyllo.
- Place puffs on a 15x10 inch greased jelly roll pan. Lightly brush each puff with melted butter.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 375°F for 12 to 15 minutes, or until golden brown. Serve with warm Plum Tomato Sauce.
- For Plum Tomato Sauce: Heat olive oil in 10 inch skillet. Add onion and garlic. Cook over medium heat until vegetables are tender, 2 to 3 minutes. Add tomatoes; continue cooking 5 minutes. Add fresh herbs; continue cooking 5 minutes. Add salt and hot pepper sauce, to taste.
Makes 8 servings.
Recipe provided courtesy of Wisconsin Milk Marketing Board, Inc.